Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ignorance is Strength

He was very important to me.
My brother, that is,
But he’s gone now
Across the sea,
Across the world,
Helping some people that,
From my perspective,
Aren’t even there.

I cared about him very much
But I can’t think about him anymore
Because when I think about him,
It isn’t his face that comes to mind.
It is the hundreds of indistinct faces I can’t bear to think about
It is the stomachs that are constantly wanting
It is the minds that are living with the horrors I can’t fathom

I can't think about them
So I can’t think about him.

It was simpler, nicer, easier for me
When he was just my brother
When he wasn’t a mass of the people he needed to help.
And I know that what is simple and nice and easy 
And what is right 
Are not synonymous
But I can’t help it.

It was simple when I was protected from all of it
It was nice when my problems were contained to myself and my superficialities
It was easy to be strong when there was nothing to face


But it wasn’t right.

No comments:

Post a Comment